The Two Brewers (Circa 1921)


The Inn known as the 'Two Brewers' was built during the reign of Charles 11 (1660 - 1685) in the year 1683



                 It was built by one Thomas Gimmit, a master builder of the city of Rochester, who, in 1682 purchased timbers from Rochester Castle, and built the Brewery that once stood in nearby Theobald Square. It was shortly after this, again using the timbers he had purchased from Rochester Castle, that he built the 'Two Brewers'.


                 The first recorded keeper of the Inn which was also known as the 'Brewster', was one Thomas Preston, a beer retailer and cooper of the City of Rochester. Preston was also a warden who examined the casks and the ale within them by marking them in grades with either one, two, or three crosses.


                 As the sign of the 'Two Brewers' depicts, it was a common sight in those days for one to observe two of the brewer's men carrying a barrel of beer slung between them on a pole, from the brewery to the Inn. It was also a custom for many years for the brewer's men to take breakfast at the Inn, which consisted then of a jug of ale, or a pitcher of wine, a chete loaf, or manchett loaf and several wiggs (bunns).


                  In 1775 extensive works were carried out to the Inn, internally and externally. The present facade was erected during this period. Alterations were also carried out in the mid nineteenth century, it was during these alterations that an antique wooden peg tankard was found, said to have belonged to Thomas Preston.


                  The Inn to-day gives out the same generous glow of warmth and hospitality that it has done for centuries, so stay, enjoy the ale and reflect on those bygone days.